Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Monday, October 4, 2010

Heaven & Hell: Sitting Down With The Boss

Two men are seated together, somewhere between reality and the Fourth Wall. One is the author, William Kendall. The other is a character, Udi Zahahi, the chief of the Israeli Mossad.

Me: Hi, Mr. Zahavi, and thank you for coming to talk with me today.

Zahavi: You're welcome. Let's make this quick. I have a briefing with the Prime Minister to get to.

Me: Oh? What about?

Zahavi: National security. I can't speak about it.

Me: Oh, okay. Well, let's get started, shall we?

Zahavi: By all means.

Me: How do you feel being a character in my book?

Zahavi: That's a loaded question. How do you know that you're the one who's not the character, and that I'm not the author?

Me: Isn't that a little bit too existential for a character?

Zahavi: Precisely. Would a mere character ask that question? I submit to you, Mr. Kendall, that you must therefore be the character in the book, not me.

Me: I can see this conversation is going to get derailed fast. Look, let's try another question. How do you feel about the progress of the book?

Zahavi: Oh, I think it's going well. You're getting your characters all lined up and ready, and you're advancing your plot.

Me: As a career spy, how do you feel about having foreign agents coming into your headquarters?

Zahavi: I can't answer that. National security.

Me: That again. Okay, how about this? How do you feel today?

Zahavi: I can't answer that. National security. I'll ask you something. You keep hinting at this Very Bad Thing all the time.

Me: Yes, I have a tendency to do that.

Zahavi: So, what's that all about? Come on, tell your Uncle Udi what it's all about.

Me: I don't have an Uncle Udi.

Zahavi: Well, then just tell me.

Me: I can't answer that.

Zahavi: Why not?

Me: Book security.

Zahavi glares at Kendall, as if he's wondering how long it would take for a bullet to enter the author's skull from six feet away.

Zahavi: Look, Kendall, I'm the chief of Mossad. I'm used to doing whatever it takes to defend the security and safety of my nation. And whatever it takes involves a lot of shades of grey. Do you really want to mess with me?

Me: I'll tell you what. I'll whisper it into your ear.

Kendall stands up, moves closer, and whispers. Zahavi looks startled, and Kendall sits down.

Zahavi: Are you crazy? You'll give someone ideas! Damn, I'd better update our worst case scenario protocols. We didn't even think of that!

Me: I told you it was a Very Bad Thing.

Zahavi: Where did you come up with that premise?

Me: If you must know, a newscast several years ago.

Zahavi: Damned media, giving writers ideas and all...

Me: I don't like them much myself, Mr. Zahavi.

Zahavi: You doing any more of these interviews?

Me: Oh, sure. I've got two heads of state showing up soon. Then maybe something at the end. Would you like to be part of that?

Zahavi: I think I can pencil it in.

Me: Assuming you survive until the end of the book.

Zahavi: Yes, assuming I sur... wait a minute, what?

Me: Like I told the other characters. I can't promise everyone survives until the end of the book.

Zahavi: Oh, now that's just mean! How can you do that to your own characters? Memo to self: hire an assassin outside the Fourth Wall to take out William Kendall...

Me: I'm sorry, what was that? I wasn't listening...

Zahavi: Nothing, nothing. Forget I said anything.

5 comments:

  1. I can see that this one's really going to be difficult....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, you'll tell Zahavi about the very bad thing, but not the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he's a trained killer. He knows fifteen different ways to kill with just his thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...Mossad will be allies of mine when I rule the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Udi would overthrow your rule of the world!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.