Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Monday, July 31, 2017

Hieroglyphic Artistry And Bellydancing

As I'm busy over in the photoblog at present, I am presenting a post today here. This is from the ongoing series at Lansdowne called Ottawa Welcomes The World, where embassies are presenting their nations to visitors in the Horticulture Building. The initiative has been organized through the city in collaboration with the embassies based here as a way to mark Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation. Recently it was Egypt's turn, and I came in, where these symbols of ancient Egypt were waiting, as were examples of contemporary era hieroglyphs done in the classic style, art, and works of current day artisans.


Events like this feature documentaries, music, performances, food, and information from the host countries on tourism, investment, or culture.


At one point the performance aspect of this event included a bellydancer. She completely owned the stage and had the audience under her spell.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great event to visit and learn about different countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I missed the Thailand show but caught the Lithuania exhibit over the weekend.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing initiative to "show" the world to Ottawa. And us. Having lived in Khartoum (Sudan) just south of the Egypt, these countries are near to my heart. Thanks for sharing, William. Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think this is a marvelous initiative - would like to see it happening in other places. No zoom lens when you were shooting the belly dancer, then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the kind of place I would enjoy visiting.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying attending this series thus far. It's been fun and educational.

      Delete
  5. How cool! I wish we had something like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome! I would have loved to visit--Egypt has long fascinated me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Egypt is a place that gets into your blood. I said to someone at one of the tables that Egypt is one of those places that seems to be in your consciousness before you even learn to speak, like Everest, Kilimanjaro, or the Sahara. It just captures the imagination.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! Looks like a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering your long-standing feline worship, that first image is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.