Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The Street Fair In The Heart Of The City

As mentioned in the last post, since I'm quite busy over in the photoblog at present, my photos are spilling over into this blog this week. Glowfair is an event that's been happening in Ottawa since 2014. It is an annual street festival mixing together art, music, entertainment, and even some educational material over the course of two nights and a day- this year it was last Friday and Saturday. Today I'll be showing you some of what I saw on Saturday afternoon, while in Saturday's post, I'll cover my evening visit.

There were several large scale murals, either done or in process as I passed through. Bank Street, one of our major streets, is closed down for a number of blocks to traffic for this event.


There was also a large scale chess game being played by a couple of boys.


Something more meant for the kids, obviously, this was just being set up when I was here.


This colourful bench caught my eye.


There was an artist at work while I was passing through. Nancy Mirsky is a local artist who specializes in glass art, and was demonstrating the technique of glass blowing. It's the first time I've seen this done. The third of these shots are samples of her work.


At the south end of the closed off section of the street, these artificial trees were set up. How they look all lit up, I'll show in the next post.

22 comments:

  1. Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous !

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of beautiful art there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jumping goats, a doberman, glass necklaces and sparkly trees sound and look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun! So does this mean that the bouncy maze was only for kids? Because that seems kind of unfair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for kids! Yes, I know. There were other things in its place in the evening.

      Delete
  5. Looks like an incredible event with lots happening. I love glass art so that must have been fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blue tree! I've seen glass blowing several times in the Seattle areas at their various "town" days. The works they were doing were larger than the artist in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine she does larger works, but for this occasion, these would do the trick.

      Delete
  7. The murals and trees are just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This event is mind-blowing! Fantastic art of various kinds. Love some of the murals, and those trees. You may recall some months ago I posted a life-size chess set much like the one here - it was taken on Amelia Island.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fresh! Glad I finally discovered your other b log, William!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a fun and colorful event. Those murals were really outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks a fabulous event.
    Good to see all your photographs here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.