Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Monday, June 13, 2022

A Day In The Life Of A Dog

Once again it's time for the dog and the cat to have their say. And so I begin with the perspective of the hound, who, after all, gets so easily distracted by everything.


6:32 AM. Waking up at home. Already light out. Daylight lasts so long this time of year. Lots of time to go for a run and get into trouble. Not that I get in trouble. Because I'm a good dog. A very good dog.


6:43 AM. Wondering when the human's going to get downstairs. I am expecting breakfast after all.


6:51 AM. The human comes downstairs. I start furiously thumping my tail against the floor as greetings. Good morning, human! Fine day out there, isn't it? Say, have you given any thought to my breakfast?


6:54 AM. The human is pouring me a big bowl of kibbles.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy....


6:55 AM. Have finished off breakfast. That was good!


7:03 AM. Making inquiries with the human as to opening up the door for me to go have a run.


7:05 AM. The human opens the back door and off I go. See you later, human!


7:21 AM. Running through the back fields, barking my head off, as pleased as I can be. Life is good.


7:36 AM. Stopping by to see Spike the Magnificent, Tormentor of Squirrels. Hey, Spike!


7:37 AM. After the customary doggie greetings, Spike and I begin to confer on matters of the greatest importance. Quality control at the places that make kibble. The maximum velocity of a terrified mailman on foot while being chased by one of us. Just what the squirrels are up to.


7:40 AM. Spike tells me that his humans are having company over on the weekend. Which includes children.

Spike, brother... if you need to hide, you're welcome over at my place.


7:43 AM. Parting ways with Spike. He assures me he'll give me warning as to when the mailman turns up at his place.

Unless he's taking a nap.

Well, we all know naps are a critical part of any good dog's day.


7:51 AM. Making my way through the woods along a pathway. As content as I can be.


7:52 AM. Coming around a bend. A big slow lumbering moving rock is ahead of me. No, wait, that's a turtle. They always move this slow. Say, buddy, some of us are in a hurry today....


7:53 AM. The turtle turns to face me- much faster than I expected- and I see that it's a snapping turtle, and it's hissing at me. All told, I think the wisest way out of this situation is to back up and find another way home. 


8:10 AM. Returning home. Barking to let the human know that it's me.


8:12 AM. The human has let me back in. Thanks human. Say, in about an hour or so you might see a snapping turtle come onto the property. Just so you know.


8:58 AM. You know, I think it's a very good time to take a nap right about now.


10:45 AM. Woken out of my nap by the sound of the cookie bin opening.


10:46 AM. Have mooched an oatmeal cookie from the human, who's having one of her own with morning coffee. 


12:31 PM. Lunch with the human. She's given me a ham and cheese sandwich. That's good!


1:28 PM. Barking at the mailman as he drives off from dropping off mail. Don't you ever come back here again!


6:39 PM. Dinner with the human. She's having sloppy joes. She's been kind enough to put some of the meat in my bowl.

Needless to say I'm a happy dog.


7:36 PM. The human and I are watching television. The answer is who is Napoleon.


9:01 PM. Pondering the great mysteries of existence. Why do mailmen exist?


11:38 PM. The human is off to bed. Well, good night, human. Sleep well. I'll keep guard over the house. 

In between naps.

6 comments:

  1. Hilarious, and now that we live with a hound-mix, I understand it's all about distractions. Not only she gets distracted, but she is sneaky and tries to distract us. I also think the neighborhood cat needs to watch out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Timmy jokes and the German Shepherds especially the puppies.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.