Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Of Canadian Loons And Good Maple Syrup

Some links before getting started. Norma reviewed a film you may not have heard of.  Parsnip had photos. Eve had a poem. The Whisk had this post about swearing. Maria had a recipe. And Lorelei has a book on sale this week.


"I've been to Canada, and I've always had the impression I could take the country over in about two days." ~ Jon Stewart

"I come from Canada, where it's freezing cold seven months of the year." ~ Rachelle Lefevre

"In Canada nobody is ever overthrown, because nobody gives a damn." ~ Mordecai Richler

"Mordecai, you didn't live to see the current PM, or you'd feel like revising that statement." ~ William Kendall

"I tracked my quarry across the mountains, through the icy streams, along switchback trails going back hundreds of years. This was my land, and he was out of his depth and out of his class being tracked by me. I mean honestly, the man was an entertainment reporter, so he could get outwitted by jellyfish. I followed him all the way to Dead Man's Canyon and cornered him. And when he saw there was nowhere else to run, he pushed his luck one too many times by saying he genuinely believed I played drums for Metallica. Let's just say he'll be spending the next three months in a body cast and leave it at that." ~ Inspector Lars Ulrich


It has been my tradition on Canada Day to post images from places in each province and territory across the country, east to west. Some of these places I have seen, others are for the future. Enjoy!

Signal Hill, St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia
North Cape, Prince Edward Island
Fundy National Park, New Brunswick
St. Joseph's Oratory, Montreal, Quebec
Lake Nipigon, Ontario
Spruce Woods Provincial Park, Manitoba
Fort Battleford National Historic Park, Saskatchewan
Alert, Nunavut

Great Bear Lake, Northwest Territories 
Mount Logan, Yukon
Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta
Okanagan Lake, British Columbia

16 comments:

  1. I haven't been to any of these places. Now I want to visit them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, Beautiful, Fabulous.
    I have though to move to Canada often it is so beautiful. Plus every time I have visited the people are so lovely,
    Much like the way America was in the 1950's, just wonderful people.
    Happy Canada Day.
    Now if we could get the Maple Leafs to have a winning season.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in the most beautiful country...not biased at all...oh, no.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canada certainly is beautiful!

    Love the quote from Lars. You should start another Canada Day tradition: a Lars blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Petrea: I've been to some.

    @Parsnip: thank you, but the Leafs can't get a winning season.

    @Jane and Chris: it really is!

    @Lynn: thanks!

    @Norma: Lars is such fun to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love the photos! Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful country! Hope I can one day visit it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing these. I've been a few yards inside Canada one time a lot of years ago...so, I was delighted to see such beautiful places and beautiful photographs. I have a great affinity for your country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Canada Day! I hope you had a great one. Wonderful shots from around the country--lots of places I'd love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Far too short an entry about Lars! Happy Canada Day & I hope you saw the fireworks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make Canada Day meaningful. Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful pictures, William! And, as long as I can take a plate-full of pancakes with me, I'd happily go swimming in a vat of the natural maple syrup from Canada (or anywhere, for that matter), instead of the stuff made artificially.
    Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.