Faith Can Move Mountains... But Dynamite Works Better

Friday, November 11, 2016

A Commemoration Of The Fallen Of War

A note to my readers: with the election results of this week having had deprived me of a sense of humour (I mean, what the hell, are you serious???), I'll be taking a few days away before I get back into things. And while I usually post here on Saturdays, instead I'm posting today, as it is Remembrance Day. I'm also doing a bit of a cross over with my photoblog, where I have shots taken on a different day and night of the two subjects below, so click on the Ottawa Daily Photo icon to the right to check out my post for today and see the other takes.

The National War Memorial is here in Ottawa, and is always the focal point of Canadian memorial services on the 11th of November. This past summer the Memorial underwent renovation and maintenance work which had it cordoned off. It re-opened early this month. It was officially unveiled by King George VI in 1939 as a memorial to the dead of the First World War, and commemorates the Canadian fallen of all wars. Officially titled The Response, it also features the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier at its base. I took these shots last Saturday, when things were overcast.


There was something new on Parliament Hill this year. Large projectors shone falling poppies onto the stone of Centre Block in the evenings of the two weeks leading up to today. As well, one of the projectors, equipped with screens on two sides, showed photographs of servicemen (and women) from all the branches through Canadian history, rotating every few seconds. These shots I took this past Sunday evening.

13 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, William. (And I don't blame you for taking time off and keeping away from the obvious).
    Does any one know why poppies are used for this? I don't think I've ever known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is a famous poem about the poppies that grow on Flander's field. i would think that's where it comes from. as far as i know there was a big battle, lots of deaths, and William a Canadian wrote the famous poem .here's a link: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

      Delete
  2. Poppies make me think of volunteer firemen because they always gave them out when you donated.

    Great pictures!

    And thank you for visiting and commenting on my daughter's blog. You made her day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dark photos were very apt for my feelings at this time. I do like the poppies and pictures. Does this remind anyone else of The Hunger Games?

    Not that anything else going on reminds anyone of a dystophian novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing these photos! The night shots are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures. Let us never forget those who gave their lives in defense of their country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lorelei: it dates back to the First World War. Red poppies grew in abundance in France and Belgium among the battlefields where the dead had fallen. John McCrae's poem In Flanders Fields reinforced the connection, and poppies as a commemoration grew from there after the war.

    @Kelly: thank you!

    @Cheryl: it feels dystopian right now.

    @Diane: it was a wonderful concept to come up with. It seems simple, but very peaceful to see them descend down the face of the Peace Tower and the rest of the building.

    @Lynn: indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An impressive tribute to fallen heroes...especially the night shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember your previous PM and the fat asshole in Toronto...maybe you can give us some ideas as to how to survive the apocalypse that is da Trumpf?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was changed here from Armistice Day to Veterans Day after WWII. Same reasoning. Remember the fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very lovely memories. Let's hope it doesn't have to grow in size after this blasted election's results. (UGH)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome tribute. Thanks for sharing William.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and opinions always welcome. If you're a spammer, your messages aren't going to last long here, even if they do make it past the spam filters. Keep it up with the spam, and I'll send Dick Cheney after you.